It's almost the holidays! For those of you getting that arctic blast or if you just want to get into the season or a hot coco fan, these Hot Chocolate Cookies are for you. My tween loved making them today for her soccer team.
Here's the recipe from A Pretty Little Life in the Suburbs:
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (12 oz) semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- regular sized marshmallows, cut in half
- shaved semi-sweet chocolate to sprinkle on after
- Using the double boiler method, melt the butter and chocolate into a smooth mixture. To do this I create a double boiler by putting a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water (making sure that the bowl and pan fit together snug). This ensures that the mixture doesn’t burn. Then add the butter and chocolate to the heatproof bowl and melt it there. Once it’s melted and mixed together, set it aside to cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Using a mixer, mix together the eggs, brown sugar and vanilla. Beat for about 3 minutes.
- Add the chocolate mix to the sugar mix and combine.
- Slowly add the flour to the batter and mix well.
- Refrigerate the batter for at least 1 hour. You can even leave it in the fridge overnight.
- When you are ready to bake the cookies, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Make 2 inch cookie dough balls, and flatten them slightly using the bottom of a glass (see picture). Make sure the cookies are as level as possible so the marshmallows don’t slide off while baking. TIP: I even found that if I made a small indent in the centre of the dough, it will help to keep the marshmallow in place.
- Space the cookies at least 1 1/2 inches apart on a cookie sheet.
- Cut the large marshmallows in half, then add half to the top of each cookie, sticky side down.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Tip: If you want an extra chocolate boost, sprinkle on some shaved semi sweet chocolate to the tops of the cookies…just wait until they have cooled completely before you do this.